Position Description & Duties
Promotes certification activities for the state council, SHRM affiliated chapters and their members.
The State Council Director
- Facilitate State & Chapter programming resource information & ensure that information regarding speakers, content, & related materials are made available to all Chapters.
- Serves as a voting member of the state council and is expected to attend and participate in all meetings of the council.
- Reports to the state director on a regular basis concerning activities promoting certification throughout the state.
- Promotes the primary certification of human resource professionals through the SHRM Institute (SHRM).
- Promotes the partnering of chapters and universities to conduct certification preparation courses using the university-based SHRM Learning System.
- Promotes the certification of human resource professionals through the Human Resource Certification Institute (HRCI).
- Promotes the formation of chapter study programs to facilitate the certification of chapter members.
- Encourages the certification of council members.
- Develops communication programs in and about certification (e.g. topical, process, re-certification, issues, etc.).
- Identify individuals who demonstrate effective leadership roles within the district for potential leadership involvement on the council.
- Must be a SHRM member in good standing. SHRM certification required.
- Appointment is made by the state council director
- Self-directed work style
- Effective customer service skills
- Initiative to build relationships with Chapter leaders and position self as a resource
- Team orientation
- Ability to advocate for chapter and council
- Ability to recruit potential WISHRM council members
Serves a one-year term beginning the first day of January and ending the last day of December. May be reappointed for two additional one-year terms for a total service of three years.
Back to Board of Directors
Jay Stephany, SHRM-CP, PHR
WI SHRM Certification Director
Ph: (920) 720-1200
Term Began: 1/1/20
Jay Stephany is an HR Generalist at Network Health in Menasha, WI. Network Health offers services to employers of all sizes, Medicare Advantage plans and individual and family health insurance services in 23 counties throughout Wisconsin. Previous work experience includes Plexus as the Manager of Talent Acquisition, Goodwill NCW as the Senior Seeker of Talent, and Dunham Express as an HR Generalist.
Jay received a Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource Management from the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater and is a SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) and a Certified Professional in Human Resources (PHR). As a volunteer leader, Jay has been an active member with SHRM; both as a District Director for WISHRM and with Fox Valley SHRM (FVSHRM), serving in the positions of VP of Programming and Chapter President.